Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Evelyn

This is my good friend Evelyn. She is someone that I have a great deal of respect for. She has the cutest kids ever. They are also super polite, and always have a hug for you. Her life is a stressful and busy one, but yet she still seems to have time to talk, and listen. Thank You so much for your support in this, I hope you all find what she has to say as interesting as I do.



Let me start by saying that I wasn't thrilled about turning 30 in the months leading up to it. Neither was my daughter. She suggested that perhaps I get so many migraines because I'm almost 30, and at 30 years of age I'll "almost be a grandma.". Nice. Thankfully she doesn't understand exactly what would have to happen for me to become a grandma, and she ain't about to know anytime soon. So anyway, the actual day of my 30th birthday wasn't that big of a deal. Just another day, you know? I kept telling people I was 29 cause I forgot, just like happens every year. In the (almost) year since then, I've noticed things about myself...things that have changed, and for the better! Here's a sampling:
  • I don't care what others think HALF as much as I used to. I used to worry that my house wasn't clean enough for others, that my hair wasn't cute enough for others, that my chemical-free yard had too many weeds for my neighbors' taste (which is true, by the way, my neighbor told me himself!) Now, I worry about my house being clean enough for ME and my kids. I still worry, but the focus is much closer to where it needs to be.
  • I'm more self-accepting. Am I a sexy 30 year old? Probably not. Do I like myself anyway? Absolutely! I think I'm to an age that looks don't matter as much to me as health, and I see my body more as a beautiful, wonderful gift from God that I need to take care of because I'm grateful for it, NOT because I wanna be sexy or hot or whatever.
  • I have a better idea of where I am in my life. After having my 2nd child, I was devastated to know that I wouldn't be able to have more children. I'm not going to lie, it SUCKED. It still sucks, whenever I see a cute little bundle of joy being held by a new mom. But you know something? I don't have to wonder when I'll have another child. I don't have to wonder what stage of my life I'm in. I am officially done with the having babies stage, and I know that for a surety. Believe it or not, there's a kind of a peace in knowing. In knowing, I am better able to focus on the stage that I KNOW I'm in, which is raising two beautiful, amazing children.
Those are a few changes I've seen in myself since (slowly but surely) becoming more mature. And when my 31st birthday comes this month, I'll be able to look at it as another opportunity to ponder my life, to see what I've accomplished, and to make goals for a wonderful year to come. Birthdays are a wonderful time of renewal to me, and I am ever-so excited to do it again! Evelyn

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't even realize you'd posted this! It looks great...You are such an unbelievably talented woman, Sarah!

    I love the idea behind this blog, and I'm grateful to have been a part of it. Thank you for the honor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Too bad I'm 31 already =) Evelyn, you look awesome! Sarah, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pics and the post!! So profound and inspirational to read.

    ReplyDelete